dinsdag 28 september 2010

Sukkot continued

After a long, long weekend without electricity (and internet) another week arrived. We've had guests over for dinner or lunch every single day since Saturday night. It has been quite hectic - I made 'Hachee' (the traditional Dutch stew) yesterday, and every day I set the table for 16-20 people (in our Sukkah, which is actually a tiny bit too small for this amount of diners).

Sunday night was probably the best night - we were allowed to use electricity (and play musical instruments) on that day, so I decided to take out my ocarina and play some songs. My favourite ever 'older' person came over for dinner, too. I think I can safely say that Jenny (or Jean, actually) is my friend, she's almost 3 times my age, but she's a friend nonetheless. We chatted and people commented on my 'talented' performance (I've only been playing the ocarina since March 2010, so I wouldn't say I'm that good... But it helps that people generally don't really know what an ocarina is!). I also chatted to Neil (Jenny's son) - it was very nice to be able to chat to someone around my age. I even forgot to have ice-cream and fruit salad, so there.

Today I had my first real test at Japari. Teaching the grade 4's a lesson of 'social science' last week was fun, but teaching the grade 7's is more like the real thing. It was nice to see how different classes can change the atmosphere, there are 2 grade seven classes at Japari (one a bit slower - and louder - than the other). I did the same lesson with both of them (and I'm continuing the activity tomorrow). They are preparing for their benchmarks (a kind of exams), so I went through (part) of an old benchmark with them. A long text (3 pages) about Mma Ramotswe (a story about a woman in Botswana) with 6 full pages of questions. Andrea (their usual teacher) left it to me to decide on how to teach this lesson.

I decided it would be best to read the text to the group first (because if I let them take turns they would worry too much about 'Am I reading next???' to listen to the actual story). I asked questions about difficult words, figures of speech and other important things - hinting at the questions. After that I asked some of the learners to read a paragraph out loud and gave them some time to answer the first few questions. Go on to the next paragraph, next set of questions, rinse and repeat.

We didn't finish the whole thing because the school had to practice for the assembly on Thursday (they are officially opening the school hall - it's a pity I can't be there because (you guessed it) Jewish holidays) but I'm continuing with the benchmark tomorrow.

Afterwards I felt more than a little exhilarated - it feels so good to finally be doing what I had wanted to do for so long. I simply love teaching. And I love working with special needs learners/learners at a remedial school. It can be draining, but it's also so rewarding and worthwhile once they do get something you're trying to explain.

Let's end with some more Sukkah pictures!





Comments of the week:

Teacher at Japari (after I said I was at home affairs to apply for an extension for my visa): "I didn't even realise you weren't from here!"
Cousin of my cousins: "Shouldn't you have an accent, if you're from Holland?!" (I even asked him "You think I don't have one?" Haha)

Word of the week:
Lapa (which apparently isn't even an English word, but they use it here all the time - it's one of these.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten