maandag 15 november 2010

Busy times

And another week gone by! Less than four weeks left in South Africa.

Writing Temerity has been a bit easier and more fun during the last week. I went to two more write-ins (not as productive as the ones after week one, but I'm one of the luckier participants who don't really have to worry about their word count so I'm not complaining) and even went to see a movie with some girls from shul (the synagogue).

About the movie (because I think people understand what write ins are like by now), last Wednesday (or Thursday, or Tuesday? My memory isn't too great it seems) I went to Ster Kinekor in Rosebank together with Sarit, Tova and Nadine. I hadn't met Tova before, but she's awesome. She's studying to be a primary school teacher so we had a nice teacher-y chat (oh and she's just crazy - in a good way - so it was a lot of fun to talk to her anyway). Initially Sarit had picked a different movie to see (didn't quite catch the title of that one) but we ended up seeing 'Life as we know it' instead. Drama comedy.

Now, I don't usually do comedies, at all. But this one was actually quite good. I didn't get bored and while the story was pretty predictable it was still more than entertaining. On our way back we had to stop at a petrol station and wait for the worst of the rains to stop because Nadine has an old, old car (no seatbelts in the back! Scary!) and her windscreen got very, very greasy/blurry once the pouring rain started. So we chatted some more before finally going home.
We usually go to bed around 9~10 pm here. That night I only got home about 11.30 pm so it was quite late... The next morning, however, I woke up before the alarm (at 6) and had lots of energy. So, good times!

Japari
I went to Japari on Thursday and Friday last week. The Friday wasn't according to plan, but hey sometimes you have to help out, yah? One of the teacher's father was in hospital and she couldn't teach the grade fours for the day. So I did. English, maths and Afrikaans. My very favourite subjects *insert sarcasm for the last two in the list*. Maths wasn't too bad (they're grade four after all!) but Afrikaans got tricky when the instructions told the kids to draw a 'Sambreel' (die tegen die boom leun). I really, really had no clue as to what a Sambreel could be. Eventually I allowed one of the kids to go ask the teacher next door ;) Turns out it's an umbrella.

So I wasn't just taking some lessons, no I was a proper class teacher for the day :)

Grade 4 is very, very different from the grade sevens. You actually have to, you know... teach. (Sure, that happens with the grade sevens, too... but about 30 % of the time, if not more, you're just trying to get them to BE QUIET OKAY?!?!?). Grade fours will just stare at you "So, what happens next?". They were more challenging than I had expected, but it was a good day nonetheless.

Then on Monday I had to take Ingrid's grade six class for a full hour before their Afrikaans exam started. Ingrid had to be at a meeting and I just had to get them to study for their exams. Easier said than done when there is this wonderful, yet horrible, boy in this particular group. Oh, and we had to sign a card for one of the learners because... his dad died last Friday. The teachers also had to write something, so I did... It's always hard to find the right words for situations like those, if there are 'right words' to say. It really shows you that teaching is very diverse, you deal with all sorts situations.
Other than that, though, I also did two reading lessons with some grade fives. Reading lessons are real 'remedial' lessons. 1 teacher, 2 learners. Very different from teaching a class full of kids. I prepared a lesson (half hour) about the Netherlands with a short text, a list of 'Did you know that...'s and some questions the teacher can use. Mrs Dale (the usual reading teacher) actually asked me to do a follow up lesson on Thursday because one of the kids was so enthusiastic about it. It was a joy to teach these kids and challenge them by asking for synonyms for some words and just have a discussion about the topic. After that was over I had a short chat with Mrs Dale and she told me to 'never give up' and, to my surprise, that I'm a 'natural' at this kind of teaching (remedial, have the patience necessary (apparently!) and that she was very impressed with my lesson. Positive feedback is always nice to hear!

Some more on Nano:
Temerity current word count: 37k+
Goal for the day: Get to 40k
Plot complete: About 80~85 %
Percentage of 'random'/filler scenes in the last 37k: 5~10% (more than I would like but certainly still acceptable)
How much I'm in love with this story right now: 40% (try to stay positive, try to stay positive)

Funniest moment during Nano so far: I always thought people were joking when they said they accidentally used the name of one of their characters for someone in real life. Friday with the grade fours I called Emma 'Tesza', I had to try very, very hard not to giggle out loud (because you know, teachers don't do giggling ;)). I managed but it was a close call. It felt so ridiculous, but I guess I'm more into the story than I thought I was, after all.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten