donderdag 19 augustus 2010

August 18 work-related

This week I worked at Japari school on Monday and Wednesday.

Monday wasn't very busy, miss Bozzoli only had 3 lessons (English – covering direct and indirect speech with the grade sevens). After those lessons (I just observed) I did some photo copying and typed up some answer sheets for the excercises.

Wednesday was more exciting, we had the year sevens and sixes again. For the (in)direct speech assignments I helped out by checking the learners' work when they finished four sentences. I explained a few things here and there and helped them along. The next lessons was even better; miss Bozzoli needed to make some photocopies so I was to get the year sixes to come in, sit down and colour a bit in their social sciences workbooks. They didn't feel like colouring, at all. So I decided to allow them to ask me some questions – I'm the interesting foreigner here, after all. We chatted a bit about what's different about the Netherlands compared to South Africa, and when one learner asked me whether Holland was a rich country I had my link to our topic -> sustainable development. So I went on to ask them 'What did you talk about last lesson?' and 'Can anyone tell me what sustainable development means?'. After a few more questions miss Bozzoli returned. She liked the discussion that was happening so she let me go on for about another 15 minutes, in which the learners asked questions about how the Netherlands work, how we came to be a rich country etc. We even talked about global warming and the fact that part of the country is below sea level. :) It was a fun lesson and I actually got to do some teaching, so that was exciting.

It's interesting to see that it truly is so much easier to teach here than it is at home. The teachers here are complaining there's not enough respect.... But compared to teaching a random group in the Netherlands? Japari is a remedial school (primary, I should say that, I suppose. But the grade six and sevens are 12~14 years old so that's the same as the first few years in secondary school at home.) but the learners are so well behaved and respectful compared to what I've seen of the learners at home, so far! It really makes me doubt teaching in the Netherlands. To pass my TP and get my degree? Sure, but I don't think I'll actually want to get a job there!

This is the last week of term 3, we'll have two weeks off now and after that we'll start term 4. I'll be helping out/teaching at Japari for the whole term. (They already asked me to take over some lessons – if I feel comfortable doing so – when a teacher is absent. I'm convinced I'll be able to do that, when I get to know the school and the learners a bit more. Their lessons are 30 minutes each and the groups are small. But being remedial, there are a few learners with impaired hearing, autism and AD(H)D. Still – they're much easier to work with than your average group back home.

As for the next two weeks, we might go camping at Shiba mountain (sp?). I'm working on a website for my uncle's company, too.

This Monday evening I went to a shiur together with my aunt – it's sort of like a bible study/talk but in a Jewish setting. This one was about marriage and why people don't believe in getting married anymore. It was quite interesting, and the rabbi who gave the talk has a wonderful sense of humor. Next week we'll probably go again; no matter what it is, I just need to get out of the house a few times a week (other than working) because my life is rather boring otherwise. I'm mostly around older (30+) adults and children, so I don't have much of a social life (yet).

Note to self: About time to make a voice recording, need to keep track of how (if at all) my accent is changing.

Until the next update!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten