vrijdag 29 oktober 2010

My NaNoWrimo Adventure.

Seeing as I will probably be rambling on and on about my story, word count and the whole NaNo experience during November I figured an introductory post would be a good thing.

In its most basic terms NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is just this; a challenge to write a novel (defined as 'lengthy work of fiction') of 50,000 words during the 30 days of November. It's what I'll be doing during November.

I first heard about NaNoWriMo several years ago, upon which I immediately signed up. I never even wrote a single word. In July 2010 (there are events like this year-round, but NaNo is the biggest) I tried once again for 'JulNoWriMo'. I wrote 50,427 words on a (still incomplete) fantasy novel titled The Obsidian Shifters. I loved it. Pushing yourself, going all-out in trying to come up with a decent plot, seeing your characters evolve and start to decide which way they want to take your novel (instead of what you, as their creator, had so carefully planned), the stress, the utter elation upon reaching the magical 50,000. I loved all of it.

This time, I wasn't planning on doing NaNo - I still need to finish 'The Obsidian Shifters'. (And for NanoWriMo you have to start a novel from scratch - finishing another manuscript isn't allowed). In the end though, I decided to write something new for Nano and try to finish The Obsidian Shifters in December/January.

So what will I be writing this time? Temerity is another fantasy story, but this one has less magic (and not enough technology to be called 'science fiction', although it might be closer to that than to fantasy). My 15-word summary (or less, mine is 14 words... It's a thing we do on the forums, minimalist summaries) is "Girl joins Freedom Army to send invading Idaites home, oh and solve personal grudge." More information, including a longer synopsis can be found at my profile page.

November is going to be a frantic, fun-filled month. The world in which Temerity is set is less complete than the one I created for The Obsidian Shifters. I have a basic plot and chapter summary... But only for 14 chapters and one POV (Obsidian Shifters has over 5 POV characters). I'm hoping this will enable me to get to the end of the story in 50,000~60,000 words, instead of leaving me with a story that's far from complete at the end of November.

Want to hear more about my story? Don't worry, I probably won't be able to talk about anything else starting this Monday.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten